Tuesday, February 25, 2014

1º Semana: CCM de México

miércoles, 19 de febrero/ Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Okay the keyboard is kinda weird.  My flights went well! I didn’t sleep well and I can’t figure out the apostrophe thing.  There was an Elder on the flight from Portland to Phoenix and then we met up with 8 other missionaries in Phoenix.  Mexico City is amazing.  Well really really polluted but flying in here was INCREDIBLE.  I can’t believe how big this city is.  All the buildings are so colorful and stuff. Crap I just realized I don’t have my camera cords.  I actually don’t know where they are because I never use them and I always just stick my memory card in the computer. So this is a problem. oops. Anyway I’m here and the other missionaries are fun and my companion’s name is Sister Jill Cole although I have no idea where she is and I haven’t met her yet.  This keyboard feels small. Okay what they don’t tell you about being a missionary is that it feels the same as being a regular person except you can’t do certain things. My Pday is on Tuesday. Bye!
 


*************************


martes, 25 de febrero/ Tuesday, February 25

Hola!!!! Well I’m sure you want to know how daily life is here. Well, the weather is perfect and the Mexican food is great. I love it. Some sisters don’t, but I DOOOO. Yum, yum, yum. Lunch is my favorite meal because traditionally in Mexico it is the biggest meal. It’s so good. Always. Oh I tried a guava fruit the other day. It had lots of tiny seeds; not as good as the juice. BUT ALL THE FRUIT IS SO MUCH BETTER HERE. Seriously idk what it is but it is all perfect and so much sweeter. The apples, cantelope, honeydew, watermelon, raspberries, strawberries, you name it it tastes better in Mexico. But I guess no one cares about that huh, jajajaja (the Spanish way of saying haha is jaja, and it is my favorite thing in the world right now)
Here's my awkward selfie

A picture with my companion (orange shirt) and two of the Hermanas we live with
*************************
This is going to be one scattered letter so "lo siento" in advance!

Mi distrito/MY DISTRICT


My district has 10 missionaries, 2 hermanas and 8 elderes, which is really weird I’ve heard, because all the other districts have 4 or 6 hermanas. But i enjoy it. My companion’s name is Hermana Jill Cole from Saint George, Utah.  She is really nice and works hard. Her Spanish has been improving, especially her pronunciation as I’ve been helping her with it. MOM THANKS FOR SPEAKING SPANISH BECAUSE MY TEACHER TOLD ME I SOUND LIKE A MEXICAN. IT WAS AWESOME.


Oh, my teacher is so like happy and adorable. His name is Hermano Vargas and he is 22 from Mexico City. It was funny, the first couple days he told us he could only speak Spanish, and so class was really hard, and then we saw one of his teacher friends and asked him if Hermano Vargas spoke English and he’s like, "oh yeah, way better then me!!”  so that was a surprise, haha, and so now we tease him and he speaks a little more English to us, but not a lot. So class is still hard. We keep getting confused on the assignments were supposed to do in our books.  Yesterday  our  entire district did the wrong one so we had to do the right one really fast. Learning Spanish is coming along.
Okay, right, about my district. My companera, Hermana Cole, is going to Nicaragua Managua North Mission, same as 4 Elders in my district (Elders Wood and Gustin, Elders Dessaur and Bakus) and 3 Elders are going to El Salvador (Elders Flores y Brinkerhoff, y Elder Okasaki) and one Elder, Elder Turnbull, was put in our district last minute because his comp didn’t show up and his mission is back in the states in Georgia, jaja. He sounds like Elder Vanpelt from the ‘Best Two Years’ movie, no joke.  


So, I  had lost my voice the first few days I was here, but when I got it back, I started singing all the time like I always do, and now the Elders sometimes make me sing songs for them or make me sing during study time. Haha they say I have the voice of an angel. Yay! None of them can sing as far as I  can tell, jaja. They are all great, as is Hermana Cole. We have fun. There is one companionship of Elders that talks to much but they’re getting better at it.


HA guess what district I’m in. DISTRICT 12. yep. #hungergames


So our second day here we began teaching an investigator IN SPANISH. IN. SPANISH. SPANISH. NOT ENGLISH. SECOND. DAY. It was stressful but our first two lessons this week went really, really well. Yesterday, not so much, but it was still alright.  I just have this urgency to learn Spanish AHORA nowwwwwww now. We watched a devotional on Sunday about having Christlike attributes and I’m working on that. It also talked about focusing outward and not inward. I realized I was trying to learn Spanish for myself and not to say what God wants me to say to His people in Honduras.  So I changed my focus and it has been better. Except for part of the day yesterday I was really distracted and stuff but by the end of the day I was fine. So many spelling mistakes. Sorry. And sorry I don’t capitalize anything but I’m trying to type fast to say all I wanna say!!!!!!!!!!!!


Please send letters to the mission home in Honduras and not to the Mexico CCM. If you want me to send you my emails directly then email me your address at elizabeth.steele@myldsmail.net.

Mi casa (purple roof woo! all the houses are painted fun colors)

We can only take pictures on P-day and I’m  putting my memory card in Hermana Cole’s camera so I can send you pictures.


Well, we wake up and get ready and we are in our classroom by 7 to study. Then breakfast, then gym, then classes until 12:30 when we eat lunch, then more studying... then dinner, then more studying, and finally planning. thats basically my whole day.  woo


I’m doing great, btw. The weather is so perfect here right now and I can’t believe how big and beautiful this city is. La Ciudad de México. Love it.

Mexico City looking outside the CCM (MTC in Spanish is CCM)


I love my district and my branch and this place. Can’t wait to go to Honduras.


Until next week,
Love,  Hermana Steele

1 comment: